Lip/Mouth Piercing Aftercare:
1 tsp. salt + 500mL water
- Rinse your mouth using the salt water mixture detailed above any time anything goes inside your mouth that isn't water, such as juice, other beverages, food, after vaping/smoking, brushing your teeth, etc.
- Drink more water than you usually would to help relieve swelling, at least 2 Litres per day
- Wash the outside of your piercing once a day, preferably at the end of your shower; wash your hands with soap to start
- DO NOT TWIST OR TURN YOUR JEWELLERY OR TRY TO GET SOAP INSIDE THE PIERCING
- Use a mild, unscented soap and gently wash the skin surrounding the outside of your piercing- Take a few extra minutes to let the warm water run over the outside of your piercing, allowing soap and debris to be washed away
- Dry the area gently with a clean towel when you get out of the shower
- If there are any visible crusties on the outside of your piercing, gently wipe them off with a tissue or fresh square of toilet paper (NOT a q-tip, the cotton fibres get wrapped around the jewelry)
- If the crusties don't come off easily, leave them alone and try again tomorrow
- Avoid sharing cigarettes, vapes, smoking equipment, kissing, and other people's bodily fluids for a minimum of one month (four full weeks)
- Stay out of lakes, hot tubs, saunas, etc. for a minimum of one month (four full weeks)
- Make sure to consult your piercer before changing or removing your jewellery
THINGS TO AVOID:
- Avoid touching your piercing or the surrounding area except during your regular cleanings
- Avoid drinking alchol for a minimum of one to two weeks; alcohol will dehydrate you and this will make your swelling worse
- Avoid sharing vapes, cigarettes, smoking equipment, forks/spoons, etc; other people's germs are different than yours and this is not safe for your new piercing
- Do not use Q-tips to clean the outside of your piercing; the cotton fibres are strong and can easily get wrapped around your jewellery, causing irritation & making a perfect place for debris to collect
- Do not use rubbing alcohol, peroxide, antibiotic ointments/creams, ear piercing solution, bactine spray, etc. - all these products are for external use only, which means keep away from your piercing)
- Avoid other people's bodily fluids including kissing and oral sex - their germs are different than yours and this is not safe for your new piercing
- Avoid any weird healing methods your friends may have used - please ask us first!
TIPS & TRICKS!
- Keep all cosmetic products away from the area surrounding your fresh piercing. This includes: lotions, acne products, bbcream, make-up, hairspray, cologne, perfume, gel, body spray, etc.
- Change your bed sheets and pillowcases more frequently while healing
- Be sure to check and, if necessary, tighten any threaded beads/disks/ends/gems on your jewellery on a regular basis, with clean hands of course! (righty tighty, lefty loosey)
- Personal hygiene plays a huge role in promoting good healing, so wash your hair and body on a regular basis
- General good health will help a lot with healing your piercing; get a good night's sleep, eat healthy, drink lots of water, etc.
The better you adhere to these guidelines and listen to what your body has to say, the better you should heal. If you have any questions or concerns, we encourage you to CALL US! We will be able to provide you with the right information regarding your modification!